Friday, July 11, 2008

Without Theory… (Why Think About It?)

Originally published here on February 26, 2008.

I had a professor at the Australian National University who used to say, "Without theory, there is no practice?" His name was Phil Rose and I think he still lectures there, 25 years after I left.

He was right, for any practical purpose. Oh sure, you can do stuff in a classroom (or wherever, depending on your field) without having a clear theory to justify your actions. Probably, the stuff you do in such circumstances you do either because you were told to (in which case the person who told you to do it likely has a theory) or you do because it's the path of least resistance, the easiest thing to do (which usually makes it bad practice).

If you practice your profession in any meaningful way, though, you almost certainly have a theory that drives your actions at work.

I don't know if Dr. Rose was consciously quoting Louis Pasteur or if great minds (Dr. Rose's and Pasteur's) just think alike. Pasteur said this:
Without theory, practice is but routine born of habit. Theory alone can bring forth and develop the spirit of inventions.

So the question becomes, "Why am I doing this?" Why am I doing it this way? Why don't I try that, instead?

If I can clarify and articulate my own theory, however eclectic it may be, I have a frame of reference within which I can access my practices in the classroom. Doing that might make me a better teacher.

That's why I think about it. At least, that's one of the reasons...

No comments: