Saturday, July 12, 2008

Sixth Annual WVDE Reading Research Symposium - Opening Night

Originally published here on March 9, 2008.

The Reading Research Symposium started off well on Sunday night with Dr. Carol Tolman as the keynote speaker.

I had no problems getting to Charleston and the people at the Marriott were kind enough to let me check in a little early. Dinner was nice. There was sliced turkey and a Mexican lasagna dish. The vegetables were good: red skinned potatoes, green beans, corn. There was a variety of breads and a number of different desserts. I enjoyed dinner.

I enjoyed the company as well. My school managed to sit together at one table.

Dr. Tolman spoke in general terms about the history of reading research, especially as it had been coupled with brain research. She gave us a new model to think about and a few sources to look at on reading research. She is an engaging and enjoyable speaker.

Our welcome packet included a jump drive that we were told had all the presentations on it, so I didn't take many notes. I got back to the hotel and discovered that it had all the presentation for tomorrow and Tuesday on it, but not Dr. Tolman's from tonight. I'll have to see if I can get the notes from someone...

Tomorrow I intend to go to the presentation by Dr. Steven Feifer, Integrating RTI with Cognitive Neuropsychology: a Scientific Approach. I will probably go in the afternoon to Dr. Anita Archer's workshop on reading comprehension.

I hope to have pictures tomorrow.

No comments: