While not technically a research article I suppose, I thought Nina L. Nilsson piece in April 08 issue of The Reading Teacher was useful and interesting. Nilsson compares eight IRIs on a variety of issues and discusses aspects of their validity.
The eight tests she looks at are:
- Analytical Reading Inventory (ARI; Woods & Moe, 2007)
- Bader Reading and Language Inventory (BRLI; Bader, 2005)
- Basic Reading Inventory (BRI; Johns, 2005)
- Classroom Reading Inventory (CRI-SW; Silvaroli & Wheelock, 2004)
- Comprehensive Reading Inventory (CRI-CFC; Cooter, Flynt, & Cooter, 2007)
- Informal Reading Inventory (IRI-BR; Burns & Roe, 2007)
- Qualitative Reading Inventory-4 (QRI-4; Leslie & Caldwell, 2006)
- The Critical Reading Inventory (CRI-2; Applegate, Quinn, & Applegate, 2008).
She concludes with a section on picking a test to use.