Saturday, July 12, 2008

Away from Ontology…

Originally published here on March 1, 2008.

I should admit that my discussion of Constructivism until now has been more about philosophy than learning theory. And I suppose I've purposely confused the two because I don't see how you can discuss one without first discussing the other.

After months of neglect, I dusted off my copy of Plato's Republic a few nights ago and looked back over the Allegory of the Cave. Reading about Plato's cave was what first got me interested in ontology - the study of our conception of reality.

But I suppose that Constructivist learning theory can be discussed without reconciling yourself completely to a particular philosophical view. I reserve the right to periodically return to philosophy, but I'll try and talk more about learning theory when I deal with Constructivism in the future...

No comments: